NATIONAL AVIATION HERITAGE INVITATIONAL ANNOUNCES 2012 AWARDS TO RESTORED AIRCRAFT AND INAUGURAL RECIPIENT OF THE NEIL A. ARMSTRONG AVIATION HERITAGE TROPHY
October 18, 2012: Stead, NV
National Aviation Hall of Fame Enshrinees joined presenting sponsor Perform Air in awarding the Grand Champion Neil A. Armstrong National Aviation Heritage Invitational Trophy to the 1944 OY-1 Consolidated Vultee Stinson. This splendid aircraft is owned by Duncan Cameron of Lebanon, TN. Restoration by Duncan Cameron and Tom Westfall.
Winners in other categories are:
- Antique Category (Orville and Wilbur Wright Trophy): 1937 Stinson SR-9F – owned by Richard Rezabek of New Meadows, ID.
- Classic Category (Paul E. Garber Trophy): 1952 Cessna 195B. Owned by Jay Carter of Twain Harte, CA. Restoration – Factory original.
- Military Category (James Stockdale Trophy): 1941 Curtiss P-40 Tomahawk, owned by Rod Lewis of San Antonio, Texas.
- Large Aircraft (Howard Hughes Trophy): 1929 Ford Tri-Motor. Owned by John Siebold of Williams, AZ. Restored by Valle Airport, AZ.
- National Aviation Hall of Fame People's Choice: 1965 Bell UH-1H Huey owned by-25th Infantry Division Huey LLC from Bend, Oregon.
"Today in honor of a great American hero, we proudly unveiled the Neil A. Armstrong Aviation Heritage trophy," said Ken Perich, Executive Director of the National Aviation Heritage Invitational. "We are delighted to host 23 aircraft for this year's competition. This 'flying museum' is full of aviation history."
Assisting in the trophy presentations to the winning owners were National Aviation Hall of Fame Enshrinees Dick Rutan, Clarence 'Bud' Anderson, Herb Kelleher, R.A. 'Bob' Hoover, Clay Lacy and Sean Tucker, accompanied by National Aviation Heritage Invitational Ambassador, Robert 'Hoot' Gibson.